New Faces from Austria
The secret is out, Austrian wine is one of the most interesting phenomena happening in the wine world right now and small is beautiful when put in the national perspective. There are no run of the mill wines, but rather a unique array of rare specialities.
Once an “insider’s secret”, today no great wine list is complete without Austrian wine. They are highly acclaimed by international wine critics and journalists and coveted by sommeliers as the ultimate pairing wines and expressions of terroir.
But what is it that makes Austrian wine so special? There is no one right answer to this question, but overall there has been a steady increase in quality over the past two decades, which has allowed Austrian wines to show their true selves.
A prime reason is the tradition of winemaking within Austria; the viticultural regions we know and love today have been the same for thousands of years. Wine is synonymous with the landscape, the culture, and daily life, from the vineyard growth to the typical Austrian varieties across regional growing areas. These varieties – both native and ‘international’ – have found a home with ideal geological and climactic elements resulting in the best conditions essential for making authentic, distinctive wines of character and personality.
Perhaps you have experienced Austrian wines for before, but during this special tasting you will experience this for the first time all over again.
Join us now as we taste through “new faces” of Austrian wine as these wines are from winemakers currently seeking representation on the US market.
- 2017 Niederösterreich Reserve Grüner Veltliner Ried Steinberg “Alte Reben”, Ebner-Ebenauer
- 2017 Weinviertel DAC Reserve Grüner Veltliner “Alte Reben”, Hofbauer Schmidt
- 2017 Kamptal DAC Reserve Grüner Veltliner Ried Käferberg, Am Berg – Ludwig und Michael Gruber
- 2017 Traisental DAC Reserve Grüner Veltliner Ried Brunndoppel, Weinkultur Preiß
- 2016 Carnuntum Reserve Grüner Veltliner Ried Kräften, Böheim
- 2017 Niederösterreich Klassik Cuvée “Rebellion”, Mittelbach Gottfried
- 2017 Wiener Gemischter Satz DAC Reserve Ried Reisenberg, Weingut Wien Cobenzl
- 2017 Niederösterreich Reserve Cuvée “O.T.”, Fink und Kotzian OG
- 2017 Wagram Reserve Roter Veltliner Ried Mordthal, Direder
- 2017 Südsteiermark Sauvignon Blanc Ried Gaisriegl, Schauer
- 2015 Südsteiermark Reserve Sauvignon Blanc Ried Hochgrassnitzberg “GSTK”, Polz Erich & Walter Weingut
2015 Südsteiermark Sauvignon Blanc Ried Obegg, Skoff Original – Walter Skoff
- 2016 Carnuntum Zweigelt Ried Bärnreiser, Taferner
- 2015 Burgenland Zweigelt Ried Neubruch, PMC Münzenrieder
- 2016 Mittelburgenland DAC Reserve Blaufränkisch “Altes Weingebirge Biiri”, Igler Hans
- 2016 Leithabgerg DAC Reserve Blaufränkisch, Sommer